30.10.11

an old post

i've moved, and since this move, i don't have such regular access to the internet. hence, this post is one that i wrote a few days ago... but worth posting, nonetheless.


Yesterday I booked my tickets to come home for Christmas. Get ready, Minnesota! I’m coming!

This last week has been a bit chaotic. On Sunday, I went to Val’s flat to meet her and Fabio for the Rugby World Cup between France and New Zealand. It was my first time watching rugby, but I must say, I am hooked. I am rarely a sports fan, but rugby was so much fun to watch that I will be eager to watch it again. France lost, unfortunately, but it was such a nice morning. Sitting on the couch and watching a game with two friends during the fall… it felt so familiar and so much like home.

After the game, we went to my friend Antonio’s for a small lunch. He lives in a house, so in the back he has a nice yard where we could sit and enjoy the fall weather. Most of the “Spanish team” was there, and Antonio had made pumpkin soup and tortillas (omelette with potatoes) for us. Plus, Val and Fabio had bought really great wine, so the afternoon was full of great food and great friends.

I had to leave early to meet my friend Vesna, because she was helping me move! Because that afternoon, I was moving into Val’s flat. Fortunately, it didn’t take that long to move all of my stuff. And when I went into my room, I was greeted by the most beautiful bedspread. Val and Fabio had found it for me at Tesco. It was pink, purple and covered with Disney Princesses! And, Fabio had bought me a beautiful poster in Paris of a woman staring at the moon with wolves and dogs. Wow. It was all so beautiful and such a wonderful welcome to my new room.

The rest of the week has been, as mentioned earlier, chaotic. We only had “official” school on Monday and Tuesday, and on Wednesday there was some promotion for the French bilingual section in the center where they played Petanque with the mayor. Thursday was a big event to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the bilingual section, and the students put on a big show for the whole school. It was really nice, except for the fact that there were many speeches… all of which were made in Slovak and interpreted into French, or vice a versa. I was lost. Plus, I had woken up late that morning and didn’t have time for my coffee, and I didn’t realize that the event was actually a pretty formal affair… and I showed up in jeans. Whoops.

Every evening I’ve been cooking!!! I’ve made brussel sprouts, bean soup, cookies… be impressed. This is more cooking than I’ve done in a whole year! I’m so happy to have someone to share my meals with. And last night, we danced to songs from the eighties. Finally, I’m living with someone who likes to dance as much as me.  It will be a good three months.

This weekend is a holiday, so no school! Normally I would try to go somewhere and see something new, but this year I just wasn’t able to organize anything. My life has felt so nice being quiet that I don’t feel so eager to shake things up.  This weekend a friend might come, but that’s it. I hope to do a lot of running, reading, knitting and sleeping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment