28.8.11

sunday morning

friday, my first full day back in kosice, was largely uneventful (uneventful, it seems, is becoming a theme of this blog and my life). i went to the school to say hello to my co-workers. it was SO GOOD to see them. they are two of the most important reasons why i enjoy teaching at the school. they were preparing for the next school year, writing out course schedules and i, of course, couldn't be of any help because i don't speak slovak. another theme of my life here in slovakia. beyond catching up with my co-workers, it also seems that the word has spread that i am only going to stay here until the end of january. much to my dismay because this is news that i preferred to share with people in person, rather than through the rumor mill. regardless, the word is out and it is probably a good thing.

friday afternoon i went and bought a few things for my apartment... including a mop and spider-killing supplies. when i arrived in my apartment, i noticed how incredibly dusty and dirty my floor was. i was absolutely revolted. but not nearly as revolted as when i went into the corner that i call my kitchen. i picked up a glass and out squirmed two spiders. i promptly grabbed a paper towel and killed them (thus, according to slovaks, bearing the burden of seven years of bad luck). i went to throw them away and as soon as i opened my garbage lid, three more spiders scattered away. again, i found some in my tea boxes. near my refrigerator. one crawling out of the sink. and two crawling on my bathroom wall. needless to say, i am now shouldering a lifetime of bad luck. but now, thanks to a much-needed tesco run, i have a clean floor and a (hopefully) spiderless apartment.

friday evening i went over to my friend's, vesna's, apartment to eat dinner with her and her mom (my boss). by the time i arrived, i was literally dripping in sweat. it was disgusting. but vesna's mom had prepared great food, which i ravenously ate because i hadn't had one bit of food since waking up. and i even left with two jars of cabbage and meat, as well as some knedla. not too bad. after vesna's, i went to meet some friends for a Kosice 2013 event. it was some kind of installation/performance art. women were walking around, staring blankly, dancing, drifting, and lying in bridal gowns. it was creepy, and it felt too much like halloween. like many of  Kosice 2013's events, i felt like the art was more of an imitation that actual creativity... but i'm a little harsh when it comes to art in slovakia.

afterward we went out for some drinks, and i (thanks to jet lag) stayed out too late and woke up far too late... around 2:30 in the afternoon on saturday. and i stayed in my pajamas until 6:00 p.m., finally got groceries, watched a movie and then went right back to bed. quite the life, right? and now it's sunday morning and i just enjoyed reading a good book for a few hours, drinking my instant nescafe "coffee," and eating my beautiful slovak yogurt.

enough of my daily run-through. i hope your eyes are feeling heavy by now. please write, and send me a mailing address (i'm on a postcard kick).

much love,

anna

No comments:

Post a Comment