15.9.11

another week down

after a week like the one i just had, i wonder if there is any merit in even writing a blog post. the only reason i'm writing is because i promised myself that neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from writing at least once a week...!

as previously hinted, this week has been Ordinary. note the capital "o." the most exciting thing that has happened is that my students completed their homework! i started teaching this year full of new ideas, new projects for my students to complete, and all kinds of high aspirations. after the first lesson with each class, i thought that i was crazy. i asked all students to write journal entries, and the oldest students to create a blog (on which they'll post weekly). after seeing their "you've got to be kidding me" looks on their faces, i was a bit discouraged. however, this week it was time for them to show the fruits of their labor... and they did not disappoint! when i saw the first blog that one of my students had created, i literally giggled and danced out of sheer excitement that someone would actually do something that i asked them to. no wonder i like teaching so much.

beyond this, i've spent my week compulsively cleaning, reading "The Brothers K" (thanks, katie wilson) and "The Divine Conspiracy" (thanks, keith wilson). both of which i heartily recommend. i've also been watching "True Blood," which has given me dreams that even the most creative writer couldn't imagine.

please send me a line or two about your lives back home. i'd love to hear how you're doing.

anna

No comments:

Post a Comment